This blog is about our travels in our solar powered "Airstream" and living off grid, in our passive solar home, near Bancroft, Ontario, Canada.

If you have any questions send us a comment; we love to hear from our readers.
Click on pictures for larger view

Saturday, 19 August 2017


We love Farmers Markets. When the kids were little we often got them up early and headed to Elmira on a Saturday morning; now we head north to Combermere, ......... no  kids.

Dave is our farmer of choice who is popular with many other cottagers who wait for him to arrive. His produce isn't priced, simply displayed in pails and sells for a dollar a handful. He sells out before the market is done.

This is where we buy our organic meat, the Shulist Family Farm. We just signed up for the monthly meat share program which runs December to April and delivers a variety of meats the first week each month.

Bob the baker is another popular stand who makes delicious homemade breads that sell quickly.  We make our own so don't buy from Bob very often. The Combermere Market is definitely worth the drive.

Maynooth is holding their garlic festival today so we stopped and enjoyed the market and bought Kimchi from one of the vendors. We grown our own garlic so no need to buy more.

The official start was a poem read by Jill in commemoration of garlic.

If you are up this way be sure to enjoy the many markets throughout the region.

Time now for our Kimchi.

Thanks for stopping by and keeping an eye on us.

Sunday, 13 August 2017


This morning we had frittatas for breakfast. They were delicious. Baked in a muffin pan, the strip of bacon forms the frittata.

On your plate they look like a muffin with bacon forming the base.

Each mini frittata is full of swish-chard, tomatoes, onions, red pepper, parsley, eggs, bacon and cheese.

Mary picked the swish-chard from our garden just outside our kitchen; so close, so convenient.

Now it's my turn to get busy. Mary cooks. I do the dishes.

Thanks for stopping by and safe travels everyone.

Wednesday, 2 August 2017


This has been the perfect summer for a garden, warm with plenty of moisture. Our gardens are doing very well.

We use netting to keep the deer from enjoying all the greens. Haven't see any deer but this guy comes around regularly.

He has a routine and follows the same route regularly. Usually around 3 he shows up outside our window.

Judging from his size I think he is a first year kit, just learning the skills to survive on his own. He covers a lot of territory but seldom finds what he is looking for.

Tomorrow looks like another wet day so no need to get the garden hose out.

Stay dry and enjoy the day.

Thursday, 27 July 2017


Picked up some water tanks while visiting my sisters last week.

Wanted to make sure they didn't fly off during the drive home so bought some heavy duty straps. They were rock solid for the trip.

They will be added to our system and give us plenty of capacity if we ever get a drought. So far this summer we've had rain every week.

Our tomatoes are flowering and hopefully we will get an excellent crop. Love being able to go out the door and pick tomatoes, kale, spinach, lettuce.

The small plants were started two weeks ago after the groundhog ate all our cabbage plants. I added barbed wire to hopefully keep the critter out.

We have more greens than we can eat. Must cut the kale and put it in the fridge. I enjoy it in my morning smoothie.

Thanks for stopping by and keeping an eye on us.

Monday, 24 July 2017


Do you remember going to day camp? When we were kids day camp was at the school run by the local Parks and Rec. Back then schools didn't have gyms so they used a classroom or spent the day outside. Best part of the summer was the penny carnival at Gage Park.

Today was Owen's first day at camp. He was excited and a little nervous, sort of like the first day of school.

Camp is held at the local rec center full of all kinds of neat equipment including a swimming pool and climbing wall. Camps have sure changed since we were kids.

Enjoy your day and thanks for stopping by.

Saturday, 22 July 2017


Today we decided it was time to build a tree-fort. We got the tools, cut the trees, then realized we needed to go to town for more supplies. This is a "guy" project so trips to town are expected.

After lunch we got three beams in place and then grandpa needed a rest.

Owen, never one to sleep, convinced Oma to build a fire so he could burn his boat and toast marshmallows.

Toasting the marshmallows well back from the fire.

Time for a little dance around the fire.

With Owen here we never stop.

Now we are waiting for the homemade pizzas to cook.

Safe travels everyone and thanks for stopping by.

Friday, 21 July 2017


Owen spent weeks building his own pirate ship. He had to bring it to the lake for a test float.

This morning we launched it and it did very well, much better than I anticipated.

Owen had so much fun moving it in and out of the deep water and letting the waves push it to shore.

Checking to see how much water was in the bottom.

I think at this point he was trying to speed up the sinking process.

Every boy needs time on the water with grandpa.

Time for lunch then back to the water.

Thanks for stopping by and safe travels everyone.