LIVING OFF GRID

This blog is about our travels in our solar powered "Airstream" and living off grid, in our passive solar home, near Bancroft, Ontario, Canada.

If you have any questions send us a comment; we love to hear from our readers.
Click on pictures for larger view

Saturday 19 February 2011

Petroglyphs and Grinding Holes

There are so many interesting places to visit out here in Quartzsite. Friday was a good day to go exploring. It was cool and overcast and we didn't feel like sitting around our camp-site so off for adventure we sailed. Well we didn't actually "sail" that was a figure of speech. We drove.

Our destination was the Indian petroglyphs near Tyson Wash and the grinding holes left in the cliffs by Indians grinding mesquite seeds a long time ago.

This is the entrance to an old mine abandoned years ago. The petroglyphs are around here somewhere.


Here they are, not 100% sure they are ancient Indian paintings, but they did get us climbing around the rocks and burning up a few calories, YEA!

This is Tyson Wash a dry river bed this time of year. Imagine a wall of water surging through here every time it rains. Seems unbelievable.
  Next we had to search for the grinding holes which meant, more climbing. No, Mary didn't have to pull me up the cliff, just looked after my camera while I used both hands, just to be safe.

Voila! Here they are, hundreds of years old, just as the Indians last left them.


I use a Verizon card to stay connected while we travel. I am able to use 3 GB per month on my plan but pay extra if I go over. It has been 8 days since we returned to the desert and we have used 1.4 GB so far. I think I will limit my entries to 3 per week just so I don't exceed my plan limit. 
One final note from the desert, it has been raining very softly all night. We are looking forward to seeing water in the washes and new growth on the plants. I'll post pictures in a few days. Enjoy the weekend. Talk later.
I

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a fun adventure climbing around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed with the grinding holes. That was a neat adventure. Amazing how many neat things you are taking in and it doesn't sound like it is that far from your camping area.

    ReplyDelete