LIVING OFF GRID

This blog is about our travels in our solar powered "Airstream" and living off grid, in our passive solar home, near Bancroft, Ontario, Canada.

If you have any questions send us a comment; we love to hear from our readers.
Click on pictures for larger view

Friday 30 March 2012

Tire Blowout

We met Kip and Anita a few days ago in Canyon De Chelly. They pull a lovely small (24ft) 5th wheel and were heading home when we met.



This is their trailer tire after a blow-out doing 60 mph down I-40 in New Mexico. I'll let Kip tell the story in his own words.

This is the article Kip sent to the local paper in appreciation for the way he was treated.

My wife and I are like migratory birds, who travel the USA in our little fifth wheel. Today, we stopped for gas in Dalhart on US 54 where the highway takes a left turn. As I got out of the truck, a young woman, coming out of the gas station, called to me and told me that I was
missing a tire. She was right! We had hit something on the road on our way into Dalhart and it took out one of our tires. She asked me if I would like some help. This was not a difficult question to answer. She called her office at Continental Credit and told them she would be a bit late on her return to work. Dorothy then got the number for Heiser Tire Service for me and then she decided to call them herself. She told them exactly what the problem was and where I was located. This Good Samaritan then promptly left for work. Within five minutes, the service truck from Heiser Tire Service came to the church parking lot next to the station and took
off the tireless rim and put on our spare tire. We followed this helpful guide to Heiser Tire Service. They quickly assigned a team of workers to replace the tires on our fifth wheel and check our brakes and wheel bearings. The service was friendly, quick, and the work was carefully done. I'm so thankful for Travis and his A+ team of workers (especially Jose), who helped us get back on our way in under two hours. If this is an example of the people in Dalhart, Texas, then I can only believe that it is the home of USA's Good Samaritans. Bless you all!   Rolland and Anita 


Please, check your tire pressure, the age of your tires, the condition of your brakes and wheel bearings before you leave home. This accident had a safe ending, many don't.

Thanks for letting me use your photo Kip and allowing me to share this with our readers.

Safe travels everyone.



1 comment:

  1. Great story, thanks for sharing. Good advice as well, reminds me of blow outs I've had with someone's car (wink wink). Sadly, no good samaritans came to my rescue they just avoided eye contact and hopped into their cars, guess it's a good way to learn how to change a tire.

    ReplyDelete