LIVING OFF GRID

This blog is about our travels in our solar powered "Airstream" and living off grid, in our passive solar home, near Bancroft, Ontario, Canada.

If you have any questions send us a comment; we love to hear from our readers.
Click on pictures for larger view

Monday 2 April 2012

Hubbell Trading Post

The Hubbell Trading Post is the oldest continuous use trading post in the USA. It has been in use since the 1850 and was a gathering point for the people from 30 miles around. Yes, this is the same family tree that gave us the "Hubbell Telescope".



The original buildings are still in use. Here we visit the barn and I couldn't help but think of my sister. Whenever we visited my uncle Gordon's farm as kids,my sister would say, as soon as we pulled into the driveway, "I smell the ponies". Caol, you could smell the ponies here, no problem.


When I was 4 my cousins pulled me around a rural block in a buggy similar to this. Try that today and think of the traffic tickets you would get.


Inside the trading post you can still buy goods today.



Lots of old stuff to look at.


The Navajo blankets were beautiful and Mary wanted to get one, we just couldn't find the $6,000.00 they were asking. Wonder what we could trade?

No comments:

Post a Comment