LIVING OFF GRID

This blog is about our travels in our solar powered "Airstream" and living off grid, in our passive solar home, near Bancroft, Ontario, Canada.

If you have any questions send us a comment; we love to hear from our readers.
Click on pictures for larger view

Monday 14 January 2013

OUCH!

The last few days have been very mild here and yesterday I thought I would do a few outdoor jobs. 

I moved two skids of wood onto the front porch so they are protected and the firewood is easily available. I also moved one onto the back porch so now we have 2 cords of wood close at hand and ready whenever winter returns.

I have been concerned about squirrels getting into our attic as one gable end is still open. Nailing sheets of steel onto the beam would prevent the squirrels from getting a foothold and scrambling into our nice warm attic space.

Things were going very well as I was working on my own to get the sheets in place. One sheet left to do and I needed to lift the ladder just slightly to get the steel in place.

Bad decision.  The ladder decided to go left and I went with it, riding it down from the roof edge about 15 feet above the ground.

Fortunately Mary saw it happened and helped me crawl into the house.

We are blessed with wonderful neighbours and within minutes Paul, Steve and Doug were here to provide whatever help was needed. 

Since both ankles were just too sore to put any weight on, Mary called the ambulance and I was off to the Bancroft hospital.



After a few ex-rays they could see that my left ankle was broken so back into the ambulance and off to Beleville hospital to meet the orthopaedic surgeon. 



Charlotte another neighbour graciously offered to drive Mary to Belleville about an hour and a half south of Bancroft. The night was foggy, rainy and not the night to be out driving our northern roads. Thanks Charlotte you are wonderful.

So here's Mary in the waiting room. Believe me she wasn't smiling like this when the accident happened.




Once in OR the actual operation took only twenty minutes as I was awake for the entire procedure having asked for an epidural.

I'm home, resting, a little tender but otherwise fine.   Mary is a fabulous nurse and her cooking I'm sure will speed the recovery and I'll be up snow-shoeing shortly.

I can not say enough good things about the way I was treated. From the ambulance crew, to the nurses, doctors, radiologist  receptionists, everyone was friendly, professional, helpful and caring. Thank you everyone who came to my rescue. It is very reassuring to live in a country with such high standards of care and to live in a community with such wonderful neighbours.

Thanks for stopping by and stay off the ladder.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, be sure to follow your own advice and STAY OF THE LADDER! Very glad to see your surgery went well and you'll be snow shoeing in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to learn of your mishap, Art. Ladders sure can be dangerous things! It was wonderful how you were so well taken care of. Hope that you'll be up and about without difficulty real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Art... Get well soon. Mary is a great nurse. Please stay off ladders in the winter time, especially by yourself. Marvin said you look good in blue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone for writing. When you are confined in bed it's good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. !Youch! Glad to see you're on the mend, and glad to hear that things weren't worse. Plenty of time to blog now! Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete