LIVING OFF GRID

This blog is about our travels in our solar powered "Airstream" and living off grid, in our passive solar home, near Bancroft, Ontario, Canada.

If you have any questions send us a comment; we love to hear from our readers.
Click on pictures for larger view

Thursday 30 May 2013

She's Back

Yesterday about 4 pm I decided to check on the nest before the boys arrived to cut more trees. I had a rough idea of the location but was not able to  see any eggs from the path. 


This is the brush where I thought the nest was located.  As you can see even at this close range you can not detect the nest. Thinking the nest had been abandoned I walked up to the brush trying to see the eggs that I hoped no raccoon had eaten. Nothing, not even an eggshell could I see. But then to my surprise I saw a head and realized the turkey was back on her nest.


I've decided we will leave that area and cut trees elsewhere until the eggs have hatched. It is amazing how close I was and yet she didn't move. She knows her ability to stay perfectly still when predators are close is her best survival chance. Once the eggs hatch the baby turkeys must leave the nest within 12 hours. I'm looking forward to seeing the little ones with their mom.

Safe travels everyone and thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment