LIVING OFF GRID

This blog is about our travels in our solar powered "Airstream" and living off grid, in our passive solar home, near Bancroft, Ontario, Canada.

If you have any questions send us a comment; we love to hear from our readers.
Click on pictures for larger view

Thursday 23 January 2014

FIRE STARTERS

Too much happening to stay off the internet for a month.  First off my bobcat is stuck, I mean really stuck. Every time I try to wiggle it out it slides further down the hill so I think I'll just leave it until spring when I can just drive it out.

Today we are making fire-starters. This idea came from Jamie who makes much nicer more elaborate ones. Ours are basic, Bancroft bush construction.


First you need strips of cardboard. Since I just bought new Sorels and they are wonderful, keeping my feet toasty warm when we walk on the lake, I had lots of cardboard.




Next step was to melt old candles in a tin pot on the wood stove.




Dip the strips into the paraffin and let it dry. Fires starters. Just place on a crumpled bile of paper, stack in some some wood strips and light the fire-starter. You get a fire every time. 


Make sure you use a Bancroft match!



Safe travels everyone and thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment