LIVING OFF GRID

This blog is about our travels in our solar powered "Airstream" and living off grid, in our passive solar home, near Bancroft, Ontario, Canada.

If you have any questions send us a comment; we love to hear from our readers.
Click on pictures for larger view

Tuesday 28 January 2014

QUILTS in the BUSH


Good morning. Mary here. Art wanted me to update you on what has been happening in my  quilt room. I recently finished a fun baby quilt using a strip method I admired on Pinterest. 




 I like to try something new with every project I work on. 



Here I added an elephant with a small bird perched on top. I saw this method of adding detail on a quilt I loved from the African Quilt Show I visited a few years back in Alsia Craig. Simple application. Fun to try.




The back has my signature strip piecing.





I have taken on a new challenge this year. In this challenge the fabric is supplied, as seen in the photo above. The theme is predetermined ..... Modern. The rest is up to the quilter..Yikes. This has been a real stretch of my skills. 






I have been at this quilt off and on for over a month.....and it is only 19" X 19". Each step of the process of taking my ideas further than the drawing has resulted in hours of problem solving. As my Artist sister Connie says.....this will be a growing time for me, even if the final result is not a show piece. Couldn't have expressed it better. Sometimes I have had to put the project aside for a few days so that I can process and begin to figure out the next "how to". Hey what else is there to do when the wind is blowing and the temps are well below -20 C. 

I'm warm and comfortable sitting by the window in our passive solar home.

Safe travels and thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment