LIVING OFF GRID

This blog is about our travels in our solar powered "Airstream" and living off grid, in our passive solar home, near Bancroft, Ontario, Canada.

If you have any questions send us a comment; we love to hear from our readers.
Click on pictures for larger view

Thursday 27 February 2014

OPTIONS

Not sure of our plans today. It is cold and the wind just adds to the discomfort level, so whatever we do will have limited outdoor exposure. 


Carol and Don arrived on schedule yesterday and tonight we are having the 8 pound splake Paul brought over last week. I'll posted pictures once we get everything prepared and cooked.

Sitting around the wood stove last night with Don I believe we solved the problem of our stove vent outlet location. 



Our walls are poured cement which meant I had to locate all electrical outlets before the cement was poured.

The outlet for the stove vent is too low but how do I relocate it in a cement wall? The first challenge will be locating the wire in the attic as that area was spray-foamed. 



Our approach after much discussion will be to carefully measure the distance from the east wall to the outlet. The go up into the attic and measure the same distance from the east wall and start digging. Once I find the electric wire I will wiggle it to see if the correct wire moves in the selected outlet box.




Once we have the right wire I will attach a string to it at the kitchen end and pull it up into the attic. Now I can cut into the wall and find the conduit without fear of cutting the wire. It should be a simple process to then relocate the outlet box, pull the wire back down and install the outlet at the correct height.

It sounds like a lot of work but I think it is all doable just time consuming.

I'll let you know how successful I am once we get the job finished.

Safe travels everyone and thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment